Jamaican style red peas soup is something my sisters and I always looked forward to. My mother would make it with lots of ground provisions (yam, potato, pumpkin) boiled dumplings and meat. After starting my vegetarian lifestyle my mom switched removed the meat from her recipe and added more beans and peas which got us into making 3 peas and 5 peas soups.
This recipe will feature 3 different peas and beans. The beauty about this recipe is you can use any peas and beans you desire. The amount of peas and beans you use is dependent on how thick you would like your soup.
2.5 cups kidney peas
2.5 cups pinto beans
2.5 cups round peas
1 gallon of coconut milk
3 stalks of escallion
3 sticks of thyme or 0.25 teaspoon of dried thyme
1 green whole scotch bonnet pepper
0.5 lbs of sweet potato, yellow yam and pumpkin
1 large carrot
- Soak peas and beans in water overnight. Next day, cook in a pressure cooker until peas a soft.
- Add coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Peel yam and potatoes and dice in medium-sized chunks. Peel pumpkin and cut in small cube size. Peel and slice carrots in
- Add escallion, thyme, scotch bonnet pepper, salt and black pepper.
- Stir occasionally until yam and potatoes are cooked.
- Serve hot