We’ve baked this cake a few times in my home, but it was always it’s gluten counterpart. Now since I’m gluten-free and I’ve taken it up on myself to bake the things I crave from my past diet, it was time to experiment.
Growing up I ate a lot of bananas, my father even planted a couple trees for me so there is no surprise there that I would say banana was one of my favorite fruits growing up. So naturally I would really fancy banana cake and pretty much anything with banana.
The original recipe called for the usual gluten flour but since I was out of gluten-free flour I figured I would use oats instead. I made it a few times with quick oats and homemade oat flour (I simply used the blender, a food processor or grinder would work better.). Both came out absolutely delicious. If you weren’t told it is gluten-free, you would not have guessed it. The oats gave the cake a natural wheaty flavor which would fool anyone. There is no doubt about it, so far this cake is my best gluten-free bake ever.
I served my cake with powdered sugar sprinkled on top but usually it is served with banana cream. I will include the recipe for the cream if you wish to use it. Two days after baking it I placed it in the fridge, I couldn’t tell you for sure how long it should last before going bad because it never gets the chance to get to that stage.
Bake time 35mins | Yields 1 cake
1 cup quick oats or oat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
4 ripe bananas
1/2 cup soft butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- In a blender place egg, banana, butter, sugar and vanilla and blend on high until smooth.
- Pour dry ingredients in the blender, mix until combined thoroughly.
- Pour into greased tin and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until tooth pick place in centre comes out clean.
1 ripe banana
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 pt chilled whipped cream or evaporated milk
- In a blender place banana, sugar and nutmeg and blend until smooth.
- Ad to cream and serve with cake.
Note. Try serving the cream chilled on warm cake.