Sometimes you may crave a gluten-free cheesy snack but in Jamaica making a quick run to the supermarket to pick up a bag of cheez-it or any other cheese cracker snack is not so easy. When you are gluten-free in Jamaica, you have to give up buying certain products that would otherwise be easily accessible in other countries. For me, one of those products was cheez-it, I really liked that cheesy snack. Until recently, the thought of ever eating cheez-it seemed so far fetched. That was until I came across a cheese cracker recipe on Pinterest. I don’t know why it never crossed my mind before to bake cheese crackers. It won’t take you that long to bake this cheesy snack. One thing is for sure, you will not have to wonder when it is done. Just wait until your home smells like cheese. The colour of the cheese used will determine the colour of the crackers.
Cheddar Cheese Crackers
Prep time 10 minutes | rest time 15 minutes | bake time 15 minutes yeilds 100 – 140 crackers
1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
4 tbsp cold butter
2 tbsp cold water
sea salt for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, cheese and butter until it’s a crumbly texture.
- Add water and mix until dough forms.
- Divide into two balls and chill for 15 minutes in the refrigerator; no longer than 30 minutes.
- Roll one ball out to about 1/4 inch thickness and move to baking sheet. Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut dough into squares and trim off uneven edges.
- Lightly sprinkle with salt. Use a toothpick to poke holes in the dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until they are bubbly and slightly brown on the edges.
- When done, recut crackers and let cool.
- Repeat procedure with second roll of dough.
Original recipe can be found at http://realfoodrn.com/gluten-free-cheez-it-crackers/